Friday, March 22, 2013

Spring Fling

Spring has officially arrived (as far as the calendar is concerned) but there is still a ton of snow on the ground and the temps are hovering around the freezing mark. I've been itching to play disc golf all winter and haven't thrown a disc since Thanksgiving Day of 2012 when I played Al Quaal one last time before the snows came. Well, tomorrow I will break that streak. I plan on walking my camp property to start getting an idea for a layout for the Bialy Disc Golf Course. I have two of the baskets already and will be setting them up in various positions and playing around with different tees. I'm gonna take out the snow blower and create some fairways and hope that I don't lose too many discs. It sounds like Jason and the boys will be coming over to toss a few discs as well. It's been a dream of mine to make a course ever since I began playing seriously last spring, so when I bought the camp this fall I couldn't wait to make that dream into a reality. I will post some pictures and maybe some video of tomorrow's fun.  So far I've tried using Google Earth to design some of the holes, but it's hard to do since much of the property is wooded. I'll have to get out and walk around and take some pictures. Overall, the course is gonna be a short course (obviously with only 2.5 acres of land) and will be 9 holes, with possible alternate tees to create an 18 hole layout. Most of the shots will be sub 200ft shots with a few longer throws. Given the wooded nature of the property, there will be very few (if any) 'bomber' type holes where you can toss with reckless abandon. The Long Lake Park is a better candidate for this and I'm sure there will be occasions where we move the baskets that are portable up to Long Lake for this purpose. Last year when we did the folding chairs that worked pretty well, too. Anything is possible with disc golf, which makes it so much fun.

The baskets on the course will be a mixture of InStep baskets and homemade. The two baskets I have now are InStep baskets. In the summer, I plan to have the inaugural Bialy Disc & Duck Club Tournament. The event will consist of a qualifying round, which will determine which players play in the Am bracket and which players play in the Advanced bracket, and the actual tournament rounds for both brackets. That should make it more fair for everyone involved. The winner from each bracket will be presented with a trophy. I am also thinking about doing an Ace Race as well.  There will be a cookout to accompany the tournament, so it should be a good time. Can you tell I'm dreaming of nicer weather? It's not far away--hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment