Friday, October 5, 2012

Duck Season is HERE

Wow, it came fast.  The 2012 duck season is finally here.  The club has started with a bang, led by Jason's 6 ducks up to this point (5 of which are mallards, 1 wood duck).  I was at Disney World with the family during opening weekend, so I got a little bit of a late start but I managed to get 4 on my first day back (3 wood ducks, 1 mallard).  So far this year we have been seeing a lot of ducks in Wisconsin.  We tried hunting in Upper Michigan near my home, but the water was so low in our hunting hole that there weren't many ducks around.  We were able to take a few shots, but most were pass shots, meaning the ducks were flying at high altitude and at top speed.  After that disappointing experience, we'll be hunting the rest of the year in Wisconsin. Unfortunately, Dad has yet to drop a duck.  I have a feeling his luck will change this weekend with fowl weather heading towards us.

The good news is that both of the new pups are natural hunters.  Jason's dog Coop has been getting quite the workout already.  My dog, Freya, did a great job on her first time out, chasing down a wounded wood duck through the long grass of the marsh and sniffing out a hidden mallard.  I would have lost both of those ducks if Freya wasn't with me.  She was quite a handful for the last couple months, but she definitely earned her keep on her first time out.  Her high energy and fearlessness serves her well out in the field.  It's hard to believe her and Coop are brother and sister.  He's so laid back and relaxed it's incredible.  I've never seen a dog so calm and listen so well at only 9 months (almost) of age. Both dogs did incredibly well hunting together, which was something I was concerned with since they usually liked to play when we have them together.  As soon as we get out to the field to hunt, they're all business.  Jason and I couldn't be more thrilled.

Next weekend we'll be hunting pheasants in the afternoon after our duck hunt.  It's something none of us has ever done and we are very excited to try it out. It'll be interesting to watch the dogs work.



Lastly, the Bialy DDC now has a headquarters.  I bought some land and a cabin last month and am pretty excited about it.  This winter I'll be drawing up plans for a disc golf course and in the spring construction will begin.  With duck season here, disc golf has been placed on the back burner for now.  In addition to a disc golf course, there will also be a horseshoe pit, clay pigeon shooting range and a game cleaning house.  That's all for now.  More updates to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment