Monday, May 20, 2013

Introducing Bialy Grove Disc Golf Course

After quite a bit of hard work, Bialy Grove Disc Golf Course (DGC from here on out) is in a playable state! It still requires some polishing on the fairways, but we were able to play 3 rounds this weekend. My goal in building this course was to create something that challenged us so that we could easily work on our weaknesses. For me, my weakness is tight, wooded courses. I'm fairly accurate, but I tend to have a lot of movement on my discs when I throw them hard. Bialy Grove will force me to be accurate or pay the consequences (in the form of very tough rough). There are hyzer spike shots, anhyzer lines, times when you'll need to really debate which kind of shot you'll need to get out of trouble, hidden baskets and even a little elevation in the form of putting uphill. I used portable InStep baskets for the course, mostly because of their price. That gives me the leverage to move the baskets all over the place and create new holes constantly. For now, the 'official' course is 9 holes, with possibly a 9-13 hole layout also in the works. If I can find a cheap way to make some temp baskets that work well then I will expand the course in some of the open areas. Since it is a private course, there are some design no-no's that I employed, specifically fairway sharing/overlapping. Also, most of the baskets are dual holes, meaning that 2 holes play to the same basket utilizing different fairways. Below are some pictures and a map of the official layout. It will probably change as the year goes on, especially when we have the Bialy Disc Tournament sometime later this summer (with shorter teepads for the beginner division).

Fairway for hole 8

Looking down middle of fairway on Hole 1

Fairway to Hole 2 basket (hidden to the upper left)

Middle of fairway to Hole 3 basket

Middle of fairway to Hole 4 basket

My Dad on Hole 5. The basket just spit his putter out of the chains

Fairway to hole 7. Look closely to see basket.

View from Hole 9 tee. Basket is hidden to left down a small hill

Looking to hole 9 basket from atop small hill

View from Hole 4 tee.
As you can see, there are some things that need cleaning up yet, but as the year goes on that will get done, especially when I can recruit a few helpers. A couple extra hands on the course clearing some brush and logs will get it done very quickly.  Below is a map of the course.
Distances are not official (measured via Google Earth)
In the coming weeks I plan to borrow a measuring wheel to get exact distances for each hole. Being on-call for work every other weekend isn't helping my cause any (camp is a bit too far at this point for me to travel while on call, but I'm working on that!). That's all for now. It's bound to be an exciting year for those of us in the Bialy DDC. Stay tuned for more pics and tales from the course and the field.

Derrek "Course of Dreams" White

No comments:

Post a Comment