Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Long Lake Disc Golf Course & More

It's been awhile since I've updated.  First off, the Fourth of July Frolf Tour.  Despite the crazy hot temperatures, it was a real blast.  Austin, Evan, Jason and I were on the road by 5AM to kick off the tour.  The first course we played was Woodruff.  What a beautiful course!  It was well maintained, had a ton of variation and lots of fun "ace runs".   None of us got an elusive ace, but we had a lot of fun.  Jason and I were tied going into the last hole and he sunk an incredible putt to eek out the win.

The next course was Sandy Point in Lac du Flambeau.  This was a 27 hole behemoth of a course, snaking its way through the woods of a resort.  It was another great course, meticulously taken care of and designed.  The only bad thing was my throwing.  I was horrible for a good 2/3 of the course.  It seemed like my discs had magnets that attracted them to trees.  Despite all of that frustration, we had a lot of fun and Jason once again took home the win.

The next course we headed to was Almon Park in Rhinelander.  This was another well designed course and, in my mind, one of the most fun of the day.  Most likely because I won the round pretty comfortably.  Austin got stung by a bee after his disc cut the nest in half, but luckily he was able to finish the round.

Next up was Sugar Camp.  This course was the biggest surprise of the day.  We figured the other courses were gonna be nice (Jason had played both Woodruff and Rhinelander before) but we had no clue what to expect with this.  The town keeps up the course wonderfully and there is a good mixture of shots here.  I was able to win this round as well, pouring it on in the last 3 holes to give myself the lead and the win.

Since we were so close and going there anyway, we decided to stop in at Eagle River's course.  This was easily the worst course of the day, but it was still fun because it was mostly wide open shots and quite a few of them were ace runs.  Again, nobody managed to get an ace.  I won the round after throwing the Teebird and Classic Roc wonderfully on a couple of the holes.  It seemed like as the day went on and I got more tired, the better my throwing became.  Maybe that means I try to put way too much power into my throws, especially when I'm fresh.

After a lot of miles and a lot of sweat, the day was over and we were all frolfed out.  It was tiring and challenging but best of all, it was a lot of fun.  I loved getting to play some new courses and see how good the people of north eastern Wisconsin have it when it comes to disc golf courses.  Speaking of which, Long Lake now has a temporary course.

The Bialy DDC has designed a course out of the Long Lake Community Park.  Now, it's nothing spectacular but it is a lot of fun to play when we don't want to drive anywhere.  In lieu of baskets, we use those fold up camping chairs for our holes.  They work surprisingly well and you use the same exact skills.  We wanted to utilize the woods more up there, but the woods in the park are very thick and we didn't have the time or tools to clear it over the weekend.  So instead we utilized the distance and the open field the best we could while using the natural objects around the park to offer some additional challenge. We set up the course on Friday night and played a round, which Austin won.  Evan began the round, but was stung by some black jackets as he tried to retrieve one of Jason's errant throws into the bushes.  For the second round, my mom, dad and their friend Don joined us.  It was the first time mom and Don had ever played and they had a lot of fun.  I threw well and won the round as night was falling rapidly.  Austin was right on my heels, only one stroke back.

The next morning I set up the course again and Jason, Austin and I played. This time I go shellacked by both Austin and Jason, who ended up tying.  A tie breaker was initiated: who could throw the squirrely Star Wraith the furthest.  Jason was able to muscle the meat-hooking disc a little further than Austin for the win. Below is a map of the Long Lake course.  I have heard that the Fay Lake Resort is planning on putting in a frolf course at some point.  I really hope they do.  They have some amazing land in the back of their property that would make an excellent course.

No comments:

Post a Comment