Tuesday, May 15, 2012

BDDC Genesis

Welcome!

This is the website of the Bialy Disc and Duck Club, a club of gentlemen dedicated to the sports of duck hunting and disc golf.  The club is located in Northeastern Wisconsin and is very exclusive (well, not really).  Initiates into the club must undergo a rigorous initiation process that few are able to complete (eating a raw common merganser breast for example, though nobody knows for sure if this has actually been done).  This site will be used to record the many adventures of the club members.  Many humorous and interesting tales are sure to follow.  Stay tuned!

Here is a quick video of club member Jason and his very unorthodox disc throwing style.  The video was taken at The Tailings, an excellent disc golf course in Iron River, MI.  The cyclone throw delivered for him, as Jason went on to beat both Austin and myself.  On hole 17 and behind by 2 strokes, I decided to get brave and try to clear the river.  Well, my first throw was launched into the woods about 20 yards down the hill from the tee box.  Not how you want to start out when trying to clear a water hazard!
This is the point where most smart players will cut their losses, toss the disc out onto the fairway, then attempt an easy 30 foot throw across the river.
Not I.
I decide that I want the win.  What's the point of playing if you can't win, right?  Standing 3 feet into the brush, I let my brand spankin' new Valkyrie fly.  It was doomed from the start, curving horribly to the left and then taking a sharp dive right at the river.  Nobody saw it actually land, but we did hear the sounds of branches followed by a loud splash.  After Jason and Austin quit laughing in disbelief, we went to the river's edge to find the ill fated Valkyrie.
She was nowhere to be seen.
Worse still, the river was really deep in this area.  We walked the banks hoping to catch a glimpse of it, but it wasn't to be.  My brand new Valkyrie was gone.  I was forced to finish holes 17 and 18 with my unbelievably horrible Halex Driver.
Now, don't get me wrong.  The Halex served its purpose when I first got into disc golf.  It's made of plastic and is disc shaped and it will fly when you throw it.  But that's about where its usefulness ends.  Normally when I throw, I tend to tilt the disc at an angle that makes it fade slowly left.  Not so with the Halex.  It dove right every single time.  Even when I consciously tried not to tilt it that way, it still ended up going right.  After 3 terrible throws, guess where the Halex ended up?  Yep, that's right, the Iron River.  The only difference was that this time we could see it sitting on the bottom because it wasn't very deep and we were able to retrieve it with a stick.  Jason volunteered to hold onto the belt loop on my shorts to keep me from falling into the river as I leaned way out over the bank to retrieve the disc, but I have a feeling he was attempting to be a comedian.  A belt loop is no match for a 250 pound man falling towards a wet and cold river.  I'd end up cold and wet with a torn pair of shorts.
In the end we all had a great time at the Tailings and look forward to many more games there.  We stopped at Ace Hardware in Iron River on our way back home and I replaced my Valkyrie with a Discraft Avenger SS, which is a pretty sweet disc.  Jason also got an Avenger (not the SS variety) and Austin picked up an XL. Here is an image of the scorecard (with par adjustments for us novices) from that day.


The scorecard brings me to another point.  If you play any disc golf at all and have an Android phone (possibly an iPhone as well, but I don't have one so don't know) you need to check out the Disc Caddy 2 app. It is such a great tool.  You can import course information from DGCourseReview's website, complete with par information.  It will track all of your stats across all of your games and spit out all kinds of sweet numbers at you.  It makes keeping score a breeze.  For the three of us it literally took me 5 seconds at the end of each hole to input our scores.  The app costs $2 but it's money well spent, trust me.

Derrek "River Magnet" White

No comments:

Post a Comment